How to adopt the Challenger sales methodology in 5 steps
The anchor of the Challenger sales methodology is teaching prospects as opposed to building a kinship with them .
Your sales reps must be equipped to take control condition of the sale and nudge customers into making purchase decisions. If done good, the sell style mirrors a drive on a rollercoaster. It taps into a prospect ’ second fears by showing them what will happen if they don ’ thyroxine act and finally raises their hopes by positioning your product as the solution to these alarming scenarios. This emotional rollercoaster ends on a high—with the prospect tidal bore to purchase your product .
The methodology can be adopted using a five-step process .
Step 1: The warm-Up
Bạn đang đọc: The Challenger Sales Model: Methodology & Summary
The first footprint of the Challenger sales process is to build credibility with prospects using intelligent communication skills. It ’ south all-important that your sales reps show their prospects that they understand the challenges they ’ rhenium confront. To do this, your reps need to thoroughly research and investigate the prospect ’ south pain points, challenges and needs .
While other selling techniques require reps to talk about what your product does, the Challenger sale method demands rep spill about their prognosis ’ randomness needs rather. Your product is never mentioned at this stagecoach, but rather the stallion discussion should focus on the candidate ’ sulfur problem .
Sales reps should :
- Show prospect’s why they’re contacting them: Talk about typical issues the prospect might be dealing with to show that they understand and can empathize.
- Prove they’re an expert: Demonstrate that they have the necessary experience to understand their prospect’s problems and what they’re dealing with.
- Get them feeling curious: Introduce any facts or research about the problem that might pique interest.
- Get interactive: Use visuals and interactive content to get the prospect involved in the discussion and uncover crucial pain points they are facing.
Sales reps should aim to have nothing more than a challenging conversation with their view at this point. The foundation put into these early conversations helps to lay the foundation for selling further down the traverse .
Step 2: Reframe the conversation
During the warm-up, the prospect might ’ ve said that their biggest problem is landing customers. Or, that their commercialize costs are besides high. This future dance step focuses on finding the root of the view ’ mho problems and reframing them as growth opportunities .
once the sales rep digs a fiddling deeper, they can begin to break down any misconceptions the prospect has about how they will solve the expectation ‘s problems. By forcing a raw perspective into the conversation, the prognosis should lento begin to shift their mindset away from what they perceived to be the solution to their problems .
By the end of the conversation, the sales rep is basically telling the prospect that the problem-solving solution they had in heed international relations and security network ’ metric ton going to work. After challenging the view to accept this, even only hypothetically at this point, they can begin to reframe the conversation around better solutions. They can do this by :
- Staying on topic: Address the concerns the prospect talked about in step 1 and reiterate understanding, knowledge and expertise.
- Surprising the prospect about their misconceptions: Challenge them to shift their focus away from how they thought they could solve their problem to the new more effective methods they could use.
- Addressing the problem with confidence: Turning the conversation around like this requires a certain level of fearlessness and assurance, an essential character trait in the best sales professional. The more confident and relatable the rep can be, the more the prospect will trust them to present alternative solutions.
once again, the goal of this footfall isn ’ metric ton to sell. All the rep should be trying to do is evoke a feel of curio in the candidate and get them to think in new ways .
Step 3: Use emotions
No matter how full your product is or how many features it has, emotions will even play a key role in B2B sales. Up to 95 % of our decision-making is subconscious and normally driven by our aroused reaction, according to professor Gerald Zaltman.
“ One firm with a very ‘ bore ’ brand explored consumers ’ hidden thoughts and feelings and discovered a relevant, basic emotion that had been overlooked by all brands in the class. They were able to connect this emotion with their trade name giving it a major sales promote. ”
The more that a prospect can personally relate to a product, the more likely they are to buy it .
A great way to get prospects to see personal value is by presenting them with relatable customer stories. By telling stories of customers that have exchangeable problems, the prospect can begin to see themselves as the independent character and feel more connected to your product. And by showing the candidate how these other customers benefited from a new solution, you ’ ra forcing them to picture how they could benefit, besides .
once a expectation realizes that an surrogate solution could, in fact, solve their problem, it ’ sulfur hard for them to go back to their old ways of think .
now that the candidate is happily picturing themselves using a new solution, reps can take the emotional rollercoaster a step far by showing prospects what will happen if they don ’ thyroxine change their expectation. They can do this by :
- Telling a story: The emotional impact will come from storytelling. Reps should tell a story that paints a picture of what will happen if their prospect continues down their familiar path. They should make the story relatable by addressing their prospect’s pain points, challenges and failing solutions.
- Using customer stories: Then, replace this fictional unhappy ending with real-life success stories. The stories should be backed by case studies of people who have solved their problems using these alternative solutions. Sales reps should use visuals when telling the stories, as pictures stick in people’s minds more than words during a sales pitch or sales presentation—or even when shared over email.
- Doing research: Now is the time to provide invaluable insight in a way that resonates with the prospect’s concerns and aspirations. As soon as the prospect begins to picture themselves using a new solution, reps should back up their argument with data to rationalize their statements.
It ’ randomness in this step where all of the unvoiced exploit starts to line up. If done justly, it ’ s about impossible for a expectation to see the benefits of continuing down the same path they were on before .
Step 4: The value proposition
It ’ randomness now meter to show the candidate and any stakeholders the possibilities of a better future if they choose the new path laid out in presence of them .
alike to other sales approaches, like SPIN sell, reps should however not introduce your product as the solution early on. rather, they should focus on showing the prospect that their problem can be easily solved .
Reps can frame these solutions by :
- Painting a picture of a positive future: In the last step, reps told a story with a bad ending. Now, they should flip this story to show their prospect what the future will look like if they decide to take action.
- Focusing on solutions: And nothing else. The prospect needs to start connecting the dots themselves.
- Running a marathon, not a sprint: Reps should take their time to explain anything the prospect is unsure about. They can help the prospect connect the dots, if absolutely necessary.
The ultimate goal in this step is to educate the prognosis about what the ideal solution to their problem looks like, without ever mentioning your product. It seems counter-intuitive, but if reps do this right, their prospect will sell themselves on your solution before your rep ever has to.
Step 5: The product
The hard cultivate is done. Reps have taken the prognosis ’ sulfur problem, reframed it, gained their trust and offered up a solution to solve it. The entirely thing left for reps to do is fill in the blank and show their candidate that they have that exact solution .
If reps follow all the steps in the process correctly, this final gradation should be painless and agile, because with rival sales, the sales rep is already leading the conversation from the begin. How they introduce your product will depend on what you ’ rhenium sell. If your company is a SaaS product, reps might offer their prospects a show. If you are a vane exploitation means, reps may provide a detail walkthrough of what working with your company would look like .